I read Cinderella

I read Cinderella by Brothers Grimm.

There was a girl who had no mother. Her father had married another wife having her two daughters. They were fair in face but foul at heart. So she was bullied by them. They called her Cinderella. She grew the hazel-tree which was taken by her father and planted by her near her mother’s grove. There were many birds near the tree, and they were her friends. One day, the invitation to a feast which choose a bride of prince and last three days came. Cinderella’s sisters were very delighted. Cinderella begged her mother, but she didn’t allow. She cried out under the hazel-tree “Shake, shake, hazel-tree, gold and silver over me!” Then her friends the birds brought a gold and silver dress for her. So she could go a feast. She danced with the prince who soon came to her there. Nobody noticed the lady was Cinderella because she was so beautiful. The prince managed to reveal her identity, but she slipped away him unawares for three days. However, she dropped her left golden slipper on the stairs. The prince took it and looked for the lady who fitted it. Cinderella’s sisters couldn’t put on it, but they cut off their toe and put on it. However, he noticed it when he heard Cinderella’s sing. So he let them back to their home. Then she came to him and took her clumsy shoe off. Finally, Cinderella could be the bride.

 When I read it, I feel a little fear of the scene that Cinderella’s sisters cut off their toe. I think it express her strong obsession to the prince. The story was different from one that I read childhood. The different story is interesting for me.


コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

I read "THE ELEPHANT MAN"

I read snow-white and rose-red.

I read Little Snow-white.